Monday, January 21, 2013

NAIAS 2013: Motor City

With the 2013 NAIAS Detroit show coming to a close in about a week I figured I'd comment on the cars shown that I think were the highlights of the show.  Fortunately there wasn't too much unobtanium on display, well onto my impressions:

C7 Corvette
The next generation Corvette in my opinion was easily the most anticipated announcement of the Detroit show and GM didn't disappoint.  Both the Stingray and Z51 receive an aluminum chassis, a new direct injected 6.2L V8, and 7-speed Tremec manual.  The Z51 trim gets an improved suspension, bigger brakes, LSD, dry sump, and closer gear ratios.  Thankfully both cars benefit from a greatly improved interior.  I like the Z51, but with only 450hp I'm waiting to see what a ZR1 replacement will bring to the table.


2014 IS
The 2014 IS is another highly anticipated model that showed up at the Detroit show.  Toyota's offering for the ever important entry level sports sedan segment had to make a splash.  It's a little longer now and with the exception of a new hybrid variant the powertrain options remain for the most part unchanged, though the IS350 now gets the 8-speed from the previous gen IS-F.  Though the F-Sport models bring improved performance, it's difficult in my opinion to get past the very suspect looking front end.  The interior is also improved and in my opinion very impressive for the class.  If it were possible to get the normal front end on the IS350 F-Sport I think that would be an interesting alternative to the class leading BMW 335i.


2014 Q50
Despite the new name courtesy of a wonky new model naming scheme, the Q50 is the latest version of Nissan's 3-Series fighting Infiniti G Series sedans.  Like the 2014 IS it is new inside and out, no suspension revisions were mentioned and the VQ37 carries over from the previous generation.  However, a new hybrid model was announced.  I am unsure if there is a market for entry level sports sedans, but it seems the hybrid model does bring about 26 more horses to the table.  Although I think that Nissan did a much better job than Lexus in the design department and also believe it should remain more dynamic than the IS; I am disappointed that there isn't a new iteration of the venerable VQ series V6 making an appearance in the Q50.  I still think that the Q50 should be another viable 335i alternative.


2014 320i
It appears that BMW is finally providing a trim level below the 328i again.  Though the 335i and M3 are usually the models I would be interested in as an enthusiast, there is just something right about a RWD sedan with a direct injected small turbocharged four.  Being a Bimmer, I fully suspect that the 180hp and 200lb-ft of torque stated by BMW are pretty underrated.  I have no doubts that a cheaper 3-Series will be very popular with the crowd only looking for the propeller badge on the hood, but I am hoping that it takes off with other enthusiasts as well.  While the A4/S4 is still my pick for the class, the 320i expands it and that could be a good thing.


2014 E63 AMG
I'm not sure there is much to say about this one, pretty much every Benz wearing those three little letters is awesome.   However, I suppose that I should note that the entire E-Class has been revised for the 2014 model year, for those not interested in German super sedans.  Back to the E63 AMG though, base level power is now up to 550hp and if that's not enough the S-Model ups the fun to 570hp and both are now driven by all 4 wheels.  With even more power for the hand built twin turbocharged 5.5L V8 and AWD the 2014 E63 AMG is my super sedan selection, well until Audi brings the RS6 back to the states.  Lastly, if you require rapid family transport like I do, all 550-570hp that is available in the E63 AMG sedan can be had in Wagon form, definitely the way to go.


2014 RS7
The Audi A7 wasn't the original 4-door coupe, but it's a very interesting take on the concept.  Quattro, sub 4-second 0-60, and a twin turbocharged V8 plus Audi's industry leading fit and finish means that the RS7 definitely  matches up very well against its rival from Mercedes-Benz (CLS63 AMG).  Now if Audi would only offer take a page from Mercedes playbook and offer the RS6 and RS6 Avant in the U.S.



NSX Concept
Other than SH-AWD and a V6 mounted midship there isn't much known about the return of Honda's legendary all aluminum sports car.  The concept is a stunner, but I'm expecting great things from the production model should Honda really see this though.  On a side note, I hope the NSX arrives in time to give the Acura brand the shot in the arm it really needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment