Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Edible Fractal

Full disclosure, I'm much better at baking than regular cooking (it's even in the name of my blog).  However, every so often I get a dinner idea and give it go.  Last week or so I ran across a peculiar looking (and naturally occurring fractal) vegetable called romanesco broccoli.  After doing some reading it seemed like something we should give a try, so I gave it some thought and came up with a dinner plan (one hopefully Tina would really enjoy since she generally likes me giving dinner duty a go).  The results of my efforts are below, grilled rosemary lamb chops, romanesco broccoli, and some Alexia rosemary and garlic oven potatoes.

Grilled lamb and Alexia products are something we've paired up many time before so the focus was on the romanesco.  We used a very simple prep for since it's supposed to be like cauliflower or broccoli.  I found it to be interesting, more like cauliflower, not a bad thing, but with a slightly minty taste.  I would certainly recommend giving it a go.


 
I also had a dessert idea, something very simple but very enjoyable as well.  Balsamic strawberries with vanilla bean ice cream did the trick.  The best part is that we have some strawberries left, so this dessert or a variation on it (balsamic strawberry milkshake anyone?) will definitely show up again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment