Thursday, April 25, 2013

Game On: 2D Old and New, the Next Gen, and a Classic


Despite a relatively slow period for gaming right now and me having more games than time; there have been quite a few gaming announcements that make the pic above particularly appropriate.  Let's take a look.

First up is some news I'm a little late on since it was announced at PAX East.  Capcom will be bringing both of their classic Dungeons & Dragons arcade side scrolling beat 'em ups to Xbox Live, PSN, and even the Wii U in one HD package Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara.  I'm pretty sure a lot of gamers missed these games so it's great to see them get a re-release.  I spent a bit of time in college playing both in the arcade and even own the Saturn import, needless to say I'll be grabbing this when it shows up this summer.

Next up a game obviously inspired by Capcom's classic D&D games is the Atlus published Vanillaware title, Dragon's Crown.  This looks to be more 2D goodness from the developers behind the excellent Odin Sphere and Muramasa.  If Vanillaware's previous titles are any indication this PS3 exclusive will be a winner, though as noted in Penny Arcade's latest comic some may find the art direction a little questionable.

Also of note is that Konami announced Metal Gear Solid Legacy, a very nice compilation of the MGS titles for people like me who missed a good part of this series.  There isn't much to say about this one, six excellent games in one convenient package is full of win.  Even with the PS4 on the way, I think solid exclusives like MGS Legacy and Dragon's Crown will keep the PS3 rotation for many gamers for a while longer.

Well this one isn't a game, but as a fan of Extra Credits I figured it's about time I passed this one on to my fellow gamers. Found on Penny Arcade TV, Extra Credits is web show covering various topics in gaming, some of my favorite episodes are the Games You Might Not Have Tried.  Games You Might Not Have Tried 5 is the 5th installment and with suggestions like Mark of the Ninja, The Unfinished Swan and Thomas Was Alone it's a good one.  Also, since I don't believe good games have expiration dates, links to the first four Games You Might Not Have Tried are below, enjoy:

For many this week Microsoft's announcement of the Next Xbox Announcement event on May 21 was the highlight this week.  I am certainly looking forward to it though I'm not quite sure what to expect, but if Microsoft shows some promising games (first and third party), explains how Live will work on the new system, and if the console will be always on or not.  Sony's PS4 press event was pretty average to me so Microsoft doesn't have to do much too much in my opinion to have a better event.  If it is as boring as Sony's, I guess E3 will be where all the good stuff will be shown.

On the topic of E3, it appears that Nintendo will not be holding a large press event this year, instead holding two smaller events.  One for the media and one for the distributors, without any new hardware to show this makes sense to me.  I'm thinking it's likely less expensive as well, with the kind of financial issues Nintendo has had as of late this is a good idea.  With the announcement of Earthbound for the Wii U Virtual Console Nintendo finally seems to be making sensible moves again.  I wonder if their E3 showing later this year will keep the ball rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment