Wednesday, April 10, 2013

DITC Vol #1 - Street Fighter Alpha 3


As I've stated in some of my previous posts, I'm an avid gamer.  I have been gaming since about 1985 or so and actually started collecting games around 1989.  Well over 24-years one can collect quite a few games, 325 to be exact.  Like a DJ with lots of old vinyl, every once in a while I need to go Digging In The Crates (oh yeah, cool points for those that get the DITC reference) and take a classic title for a spin.  For the first installment of this series I'm taking a look at one of my favorite Capcom classics, Street Fighter Alpha 3.

I spent a lot of time playing fighting games in 2000 and although my local arcades didn't have Alpha 3 I logged many hours playing the game on my Dreamcast.  Well it's 2013 now and the question is has time been kind to Alpha 3?  Breaking out my trusty Agetec arcade stick and playing  Alpha 3 almost a decade later I have to say the game has aged very well.  Compared to AE 2012, Alpha 3 still feels tight and though it isn't as technical (though the three isms definitely add a bit of depth) it's still very enjoyable for fans of the genre.  Graphically the game does a look a little dated, but that certainly isn't an issue in my opinion.  The only real fault I can find with Alpha 3 is that there aren't any options for multi-player unless you can get some friends over to your place.  I was hoping that Alpha 3 would get a HD remake a la 3rd Strike or Super Turbo, but in light of the recent announcement from Capcom it looks like that won't happen.  Well as long as my Dreamcast keeps working I'll be able to get my Alpha 3 fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment