Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Better Daily: New Shoes


It seems like forever since I placed my order with The Tire Rack on Feb 4th, but after a little more than 8-weeks my new wheels and tires were delivered last Tuesday.  Since the 5th gen Legacy has large wheel wells and flared fenders to fill I decided to go with a +1 fitment.  A set of Enkei GTC-01 wheels in 19x8 with a +45 offset will replace the stock wheels.  The GTC-01s are wrapped in Continental Extreme Contact DWs in 245/40-19, the widest tire you can fit on an 8" wheel.  Wider stickier tires and better looking wheels are always a plus, but what is even better is weight reduction.  The factory wheels and tires weighed in at 51.4lbs (25.4lbs/wheel and 26lbs/tire) per corner, the Enkei and Conti combo are 46lbs (22lbs/wheel and 24lbs/tire) per corner.  That's a 5.4lb per corner reduction of unsprung weight, not bad if you ask me.

Although winter has been over in the DMV for a little while now, I won't be putting the new wheels on until I get my suspension straight.  In my opinion, there just isn't much point in adding new wheels and tires while I'm stuck with the soft stock suspension.  After the Racecomp Engineering Bilsteins finally arrive, hopefully by June, I can take a look at getting these on the Legacy.  I guess Rome really wasn't built in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment